Friday, May 6, 2011

We found a House

We got our orders to Fort Sill a few weeks ago, and my husband’s report date is June, 10, 2011. The first thing I did was called housing at Sill, to see if there was any housing available on base, and just like most bases there is a waiting list, and for our size family and my husband’s rank the waiting is over a year.  So I began my hunt for a home off base, this will be our first time living off base.
The best website I found to search homes for rent is- https://www.ahrn.com/ . You have to sign up with an AKO account.  They give you the number to housing for off base, and also give you your BAH rates for the area. I have been looking for what feels like forever, and have been adding the listings to my favorites list and was going to look at them once we get down there.

Other helpful websites for Fort Sill:
http://www.sillunderground.com/    Discussions with people who live at Fort Sill.
http://www.sillmwr.com/    MWR website
http://sill-www.army.mil/USAG/dpw/Housing.html  click on HSO to
receive a welcome packet and helpful telephone numbers for the Fort
Sill/Lawton area.

We added a house to our list, and I decided to call the owners since they were not going through a realtor company, and ask questions. Been in contact with them for a few days now and have fallen in love with their house, the pictures had us sold. The rent is a little over BAH but we can handle it, and they allow pets, which was very important for us. I called housing to see what I need to do from here, and all we have to do is go to their office before signing any lease.
Housing does give a number to the police department to get crime rates in the neighborhood.  (580) 581-3259
I will say that from them (police department) and people who have lived in the area of Lawton, it is not a very “friendly” city. The crime rates are HIGH. However I have been speaking with the owner of the house we are interested in, and she says that it’s not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, and this is coming from a person who had her home robbed last year. Talk about being positive. She did however make me feel a bit better about moving there and the area. She has lived in Lawton for 4 years and other than the one time being robbed, has never had any other problems. I feel that where ever you go there are things happening around that we just cannot control.  All I can say is turning the security system on (and my hubby’s going to teach me how to use a gun J) will help my nerves. Anyways, before your move best thing to do is get a hold of housing in that area, and if you have to live off base start searching early. I started looking the second we knew housing was full.

 WE HAVE A HOUSE!


 We got lucky because we found a house through AHRN so now we don’t have to spend days in a hotel, while looking for a home. I am very excited about moving into our new home. The owners are what my husband calls “good people”. They are holding the house for us, now we just need to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment